Sound & Music


Black Label Blues is a predominantly traditional blues weekend but we strongly believe in inclusion and recognise that blues dancers also like other music and other dance styles so we have our Premium Blues Blend.  We specifically do not label the non-blues element as Fusion as that has too many different meanings to different people and can be restrictive.

For our parties we like to have about 70% blues and for the remaining 30% of their set the DJs are free to play any music that they think blues dancers will dance to (which can still be blues!).  

Our live bands will generally play blues or blues related music.


Black Label Blues cares for our attendees and staff and we take their safety seriously.  We don’t want you to be injured at our event and that includes your hearing. Following on from numerous community discussions about sound at dance events often being too loud and potentially damaging people’s hearing, we have decided to take action.  We recently purchased a digital sound level decibel meter and will be monitoring levels during the event.

Although there is no specific legislation setting noise limits for the audience exposure to noise, we have looked at various international H&S guidance along with articles from sound and hearing professionals and have decided to set guideline maximum levels of 90dB(A) for recorded music and 92dB(A) for live music.  This will be periodically measured at a distance of 1metre from the speaker.  We will also take readings from other places in the room as sound levels drop over distance and are affected by many variables.

Should a DJ or band be playing at a consistently high level they may be asked to turn it down and, should they refuse, then we reserve the right to stop the set and ask them to leave with no payment.

We also ask that you help us by taking care of yourself:

  • Be aware of your environment. Take breaks from the front of the dance floor / near the speakers and go to where sound levels are lower.
  • Always stay at least 10 feet / 3 metres away from the speakers—dancing closer to speakers is extremely risky.
  • Alcohol and drugs lower your sense of pain and increase the risk of hearing damage. Being tired, dehydrated, or overheated also increase risk.  When dancing, drink two to three cups of water per hour. 
  • The risk of hearing damage depends on many things including: (1) how loud the music is: (2) how close you are to the speakers; (3) how long you are on the dance floor; (4) previous hearing damage.
  • If you need to dampen the sound for yourself then use real ear plugs – cotton and rolled up tissue paper provide no protection at all.
  • We can’t be everywhere all the time so please do tell us if you think the sound levels are too loud.

Some of our references: